Pressure Garments for Keloid Scars
06-02-2013, 23:37
Pressure Garments for Keloid Scars
Hi all,

Has anyone come across 'pressure therapy' for keloid scars? I believe it essentially involves wearing specially made-to-measure pressure garments on certain parts of your body, for a sustained amount of time, to aid/ease the pain.

I speak from personal experience in indicating that the feeling of pressure is one of the most pain-relieving sensations when my keloids are particularly itchy, painful and irritative. For the keloids on my chest, I simply lay on my front on a relatively hard/flat surface which helps significantly Icon_nod. Firstly, it's no so easy or convenient to do this all the time Icon_lol and secondly it's doesn't quite work effectively on shoulders/arms either. That's where pressure garments, I feel, could make a difference.

They are typically used for burns patients though seem to more popular for other applications also.

I'll be posting some more information in this thread as I find it Icon_thumbsup.

Has anyone else heard of this approach or found it to be effective?

Thanks!
c_man
09-02-2013, 13:43
RE: Pressure Garments for Keloid Scars
I came across a company called Jobskin who seem to offer pressure garments products. They also offer silicone products too - I've posted detailed of that in the relevant forum here: Silon TEX for Keloid Scars.

Here is a little description taken from their website:

Quote:A quality custom made compression garment designed and produced to the finest detail providing a constant and calculated amount of pressure, ensuring optimum results in pressure therapy management. Jobskin medically effective garments achieve an outstanding aesthetic and functional outcome for the individual.

They seem to offer a comprehensive range:

[Image: UQDvqgH.png]

However, I currently have little appreciation for cost, and given the detail they reference on their website, I cannot see this being a relatively cheap option Icon_shakey.

Some of the pressure garments they offer seem a little too much to wear all the time, especially the larger ones, but I think they are all almost very wearing during the night anyway. Here are a few options I've seen:

[Image: Do41pJs.jpg] [Image: gpnRrpMl.jpg]

[Image: DrumpTjl.jpg]

I have a keloid on my chest, so not quite sure I'd be happy to let that zip anywhere near it...Icon_scaredIcon_scared.

Has anyone considered a similar option? Thoughts?

Thanks!
c_man
10-02-2013, 03:30
this is awesome! i mentioned in another thread that my bra causes me to break out in further keloids-- Dr.Gatsman (the Dr. I went to see in Ohio) suggested I look into clothing/undergarments for burn victims. Call into your local hospital's burn centre & have them recommend the nearest shop to you
06-06-2013, 09:01 (This post was last modified: 06-06-2013 09:08 by MumofTwoShiningStars.)
I had them on my legs years ago (12-14yrs) so it may have improved, For me It was torture. It's not so much pain but discomfort especially in the warm weather, I would get very itchy and the tops of the 'socks' would cause sores due to rubbing.
Whilst My scars did soften a little and slightly flatter (Also using silicon sheets) I couldn't handle the intense itching and that horrid feeling you get when your sweaty Icon_shakey
06-06-2013, 11:17
Hi MumofTwoShiningStars,

(06-06-2013 09:01)MumofTwoShiningStars Wrote:  I had them on my legs years ago (12-14yrs) so it may have improved, For me It was torture. It's not so much pain but discomfort especially in the warm weather, I would get very itchy and the tops of the 'socks' would cause sores due to rubbing.
Whilst My scars did soften a little and slightly flatter (Also using silicon sheets) I couldn't handle the intense itching and that horrid feeling you get when your sweaty Icon_shakey

Can you remember which brand/type you used? Perhaps the technology has developed since and doesn't feel so uncomfortable in the warmer weather [of which we have little of here in the UK anyway Icon_lol Icon_wave].

I still need to look into these, I think even if I wore the garment during the nights, it could help.

Thanks!
c_man
06-06-2013, 11:23
I haven't a clue, Sorry C_man.
I had to go to east grinstead for mine, I was measured up for them and had to collect them few weeks later. They were literally ugly brown (Extremely tight) Socks that they made to my specific sizing.

The thing is When I had them It was hard to see what was working best for me, there was so many different creams etc I was using at the time. I'm sure they did work they said there was improvement which could see on pictures but to me it was still the same, But then again I was so hung up on the scar. It could have vanished completely and I would have still have seen it there.
17-05-2016, 10:57
Just wondering if anyone had any more info on these?

I'm beginning to consider them...

Thanks,
c_man
16-04-2018, 21:23
Pressure garments.
Has anyone tried a pressure garment before or after a procedure?

[Image: 97bb5970d6b3fc8a4e8fed972fd42070.jpg]

[Image: e402404901a28c21cb489093c0fc5cb1.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
22-04-2018, 16:58
Pressure garments.
(16-04-2018 21:23)mic_mic16 Wrote:  Has anyone tried a pressure garment before or after a procedure?

[Image: 97bb5970d6b3fc8a4e8fed972fd42070.jpg]

[Image: e402404901a28c21cb489093c0fc5cb1.jpg]

Well my doc prescribed me pressure garment last week, which is to be used with silicone sheets. Will update results by next week. Icon_smile

24-04-2018, 20:58
Pressure garments.
Sweet. I have been wearing scar away sheets on my chest for about a month now. It hasn’t decreased in size, but it definitely is changing the color and making the keloid smoother.