21-11-2017, 23:52
Hi guys my names james and I’ve just joined the forum. I’m going to share my story with you because some of my info maybe useful to others and also any advise is welcome.

So I’m currently 25 and have a huge amount of keloid scaring on my shoulders and the centre of my chest. I haven’t counted but I think I’ve proably got around a 100. This was the result of acne but I’ll come back to that in a minute. It all started when I was around 17 and I had a couple of small keloids pop up on my chest and shoulders but they were tiny, so small that the doctors didn’t even know they were keoilds until a year on, they were getting treated as spots. So when they realised they started treating them with steroid injections which worked very well and I honestly think they would be almost gone now, however I had a massive outbreak in acne on my chest and shoulders around a year and a half ago.

So around a year and a half ago, one month I randomly had a huge outbreak of acne on my back and chest, this happened over a few months. I got treated for the acne and the acne soon cleared up, never to return, however as most of you know on here that isn’t the end of it. After around a month the scars started to appear, mostly the result of poppong the spots. I was in a relationship at the time and was embarrassed by the spots so at the time I thought popping them was the answer but of course made the situation worse. So Ive had the scars for around a year and I’ve been having steroid injection for around a year but unfortunately as most of mine are fairly big and the injections weren’t doing much they decided to stop my treatment, I can honestly say I went home that day and cry my eyes out. I also use these scaraway sheets which many of you use on here, now I know some of you are struggling to get them but I get mine on amazon on a monthly basis and I think they work well, however when you have as many scars as me you can’t cover them all and it does come at a cost. I’m spending around £50 a month for two boxes. My doctor at the time suggested one other thing, I went back to the hospital on a day where all the doctors once a month get together and discuss things with each other, I don’t entirlry no what but they were all together under the same roof so he suggested I came in and let them all have a look. It was honestly the most uncomfortable thing I’ve done seeing as nobody knew about my condition at the time and suddenly I had about 10 doctors staring at me looking at them asking me questions. After that my doctor wrote to me and said I’m referring you to the plastic surgery team. I’m currently waiting for the go ahead for the nhs funding but I’m still in two minds what to do as we all know surgery can make it worse. So that’s where my treatment currently lies.

A couple of things I want to share which I think is very importamant and I’m sure a lot of us, especially us younger ones can relate to. Firstly girls, when my scars started to appear a year ago I was at the end of a relationship and I hid it from her for a few months before we broke up. No we did t split because of the scars because I never showed her, however she did ask me on more than one occasion why I wouldn’t take off my top but I just gave her some bullshit excuse. After we split I was then terrified of meeting anyone else because of what they might think. I would take my top off in front of them or anyone. You think it just stops with girls well it dosnt, lads holidays I don’t attend, changing rooms become a problem also to a point where I can’t where certain tops because you can see them through it. If I want to go to the beach in the summer then I go alone and to the furthest point where no one is around. Now my keloids are currently the worst they’ve been and I think they haven’t stopped growing yet but up until a couple of months back I’d never let anyone see this but then something happened, I met a girl. After a few dates I was about to call it off because of the scars, I was embarraced about what she might think. But one day she confronted me about them, she’s asked what they were, when she hugged me or touched me she could feel them through my shirt, so me being shit scarred and really unsure what to say I told her straight up. This for me as I’m sure a lot you understand is a huge step. She listened and completely understood. She said I’ve got things on my body I don’t like either, not a significant as my scars but still things she didn’t like about herself so she said don’t worry. This was an instant weight off my shoulders and a few weeks back for the first time I showed her them. She says she isn’t at all bothered by it and I honestly cannot believe it because I used to think I might never meet anyone because I was always to scared to let anyone see. I’m sure there’s many others that can relate to this so my advise is do not scared, I know it’s hard and if she hadn’t confronted me about it then I don’t think I’d be with her now because I was gona call it off. If somebody dosnt like it then fuck them, there not worth your time. I’m not gona blow my own trumpet hahah but she’s a really hot attractive girl so honestly there’s people out there who will except you for what you are. Just be honest and get if off your shoulders because it makes you a lot happier. I hope this helps some of you younger guys or girls in the same situation or maybe even older people to.

Any advise on treatment for mine would be a massive help and feel free to ask any questions, good luck guys
31-12-2017, 15:52
RE: Newbie
Hi James,

Thanks for posting! We have very similar experiences :nod.

(21-11-2017 23:52)James1992 Wrote:  I also use these scaraway sheets which many of you use on here, now I know some of you are struggling to get them but I get mine on amazon on a monthly basis and I think they work well, however when you have as many scars as me you can’t cover them all and it does come at a cost. I’m spending around £50 a month for two boxes.

Do you have any progress pics to share? I'd be really interested in knowing how effective they are for you... There is some more info about them in the following sub-forum too: Forum-Silicone-Gel-Sheets.

(21-11-2017 23:52)James1992 Wrote:  My doctor at the time suggested one other thing, I went back to the hospital on a day where all the doctors once a month get together and discuss things with each other, I don’t entirlry no what but they were all together under the same roof so he suggested I came in and let them all have a look. It was honestly the most uncomfortable thing I’ve done seeing as nobody knew about my condition at the time and suddenly I had about 10 doctors staring at me looking at them asking me questions. After that my doctor wrote to me and said I’m referring you to the plastic surgery team. I’m currently waiting for the go ahead for the nhs funding but I’m still in two minds what to do as we all know surgery can make it worse. So that’s where my treatment currently lies.

Very interesting! Was this via the NHS or a private service?

I was also referred to a (private) plastic surgeon via my GP (NHS). This is one of the 'treatments' he recommended: Thread-Pressure-Garments-for-Keloid-Scars, and I've written a little bit more about my visit here: Thread-Good-Keloid-Consultant-in-London... so I'd be interested to know what feedback you received from your referral Icon_thumbsup.

(21-11-2017 23:52)James1992 Wrote:  A couple of things I want to share which I think is very importamant and I’m sure a lot of us, especially us younger ones can relate to. Firstly girls, when my scars started to appear a year ago I was at the end of a relationship and I hid it from her for a few months before we broke up. No we did t split because of the scars because I never showed her, however she did ask me on more than one occasion why I wouldn’t take off my top but I just gave her some bullshit excuse. After we split I was then terrified of meeting anyone else because of what they might think. I would take my top off in front of them or anyone. You think it just stops with girls well it dosnt, lads holidays I don’t attend, changing rooms become a problem also to a point where I can’t where certain tops because you can see them through it. If I want to go to the beach in the summer then I go alone and to the furthest point where no one is around. Now my keloids are currently the worst they’ve been and I think they haven’t stopped growing yet but up until a couple of months back I’d never let anyone see this but then something happened, I met a girl. After a few dates I was about to call it off because of the scars, I was embarraced about what she might think. But one day she confronted me about them, she’s asked what they were, when she hugged me or touched me she could feel them through my shirt, so me being shit scarred and really unsure what to say I told her straight up. This for me as I’m sure a lot you understand is a huge step. She listened and completely understood. She said I’ve got things on my body I don’t like either, not a significant as my scars but still things she didn’t like about herself so she said don’t worry. This was an instant weight off my shoulders and a few weeks back for the first time I showed her them. She says she isn’t at all bothered by it and I honestly cannot believe it because I used to think I might never meet anyone because I was always to scared to let anyone see. I’m sure there’s many others that can relate to this so my advise is do not scared, I know it’s hard and if she hadn’t confronted me about it then I don’t think I’d be with her now because I was gona call it off. If somebody dosnt like it then fuck them, there not worth your time. I’m not gona blow my own trumpet hahah but she’s a really hot attractive girl so honestly there’s people out there who will except you for what you are. Just be honest and get if off your shoulders because it makes you a lot happier. I hope this helps some of you younger guys or girls in the same situation or maybe even older people to.

Icon_adore I think we're all learning the hard way, but it's really great to see such examples Icon_toppa

Look forward to your future posts :thumbsup,
c_man