My Keloid Treatment
23-01-2013, 03:47 (This post was last modified: 26-01-2013 22:15 by c_man.)
My Keloid Treatment
Hi,

I used to have only a few keloids that I could easily treat with steroid injections. By the time I was 20 I had too many to do in one sitting, when going to my doctor for treatment I had to pick and choose which keloids I wanted to inject because he couldn't get them all... in the words of my doctor, "Pick your battle". As most of you know, the injections are painful and I often go home from treatment feeling weak and sore. I hate the injections so much that I only go to get them treated when I know I will be traveling and will want to wear more revelling clothing. To give you a better idea of where my keloids are, I can wear a v-neck T-shirt (depends on the length of the sleeve) without any keloids showing. I started to notice that the keloids on my arm and back start off as small little keloids, and now have somehow merged into one big giant one(s) over time. They're itchy, and visible when I wear tight clothing. I don't know if other women have this issue but the fabric of my bra + the pressure of my straps into my skin has caused me to break out in new small keloids in the area of my bra strap/clasp. The doctor suggested a strapless bra, but you women know that this isn't realistic.

I've also tried silicone,and every possible cream. Did nothing to help my keloids.

I came across the "cryoshape" treatment - which I've written about in the Cryotherapy forum: Thread-Cryoshape-Treatment-for-Keloids

If anyone wants to speak to me personally or has any further questions about me and my life with keloids, don't hesitate to ask for my contact Icon_smile

A

EDIT: Hi A, I've fixed the link for you regarding the "Cryoshape" Treatment for Keloids...Thanks, c_man
26-01-2013, 15:13
RE: Treatment
Hi ag1989,

Seems like a very similar situation to me - apart from the fact that you actually proceeded with steroid injections to address your keloids - I bottled out because of the horror stories; not only of the pain aspect but also the risk of them returning even bigger having been exposed to a needle/piercing....Icon_scared.

(23-01-2013 03:47)ag1989 Wrote:  in the words of my doctor, "Pick your battle".

I was told exactly the same thing from my dermatologist! At the time, my keloids were relatively small, and I hoped they would not grow any larger. If I had known then, just how large they would be today, perhaps I would've considered steroid injections more seriously on the premise/mindset of 'what have I got to lose'... Icon_neutral.

(23-01-2013 03:47)ag1989 Wrote:  To give you a better idea of where my keloids are, I can wear a v-neck T-shirt (depends on the length of the sleeve) without any keloids showing. I started to notice that the keloids on my arm and back start off as small little keloids, and now have somehow merged into one big giant one(s) over time. They're itchy, and visible when I wear tight clothing.

Not sure if you meant "can" or "can't" - but I certainly can't wearing any v-necks and haven't been able to do so for a number of years now - not only because my keloid would show, but also because a second one developed on my chest the 'V' would sit directly on it, causing continuous pain and irritation Icon_sad. With both these keloids now joined up, the situation is even worse....

...I even struggle to wear formal shirts for work because of the crease down the middle where the buttons meet and even the friction caused by the buttons themselves Icon_wave.

(23-01-2013 03:47)ag1989 Wrote:  I don't know if other women have this issue but the fabric of my bra + the pressure of my straps into my skin has caused me to break out in new small keloids in the area of my bra strap/clasp. The doctor suggested a strapless bra, but you women know that this isn't realistic.

I'm afraid I cannot personally help with that Icon_lol but let's hope a female pops along soon, who has a few ideas or workarounds Icon_thumbsup.

Thanks!
c_man
26-01-2013, 18:56
Quote:Seems like a very similar situation to me - apart from the fact that you actually proceeded with steroid injections to address your keloids - I bottled out because of the horror stories; not only of the pain aspect but also the risk of them returning even bigger having been exposed to a needle/piercing....

You're 100% right. If you begin with steroid injections, you have to continue with them for life or else a) the grow back, and bigger than they originally were and b) they become really hard (almost rock like) and itchy/painful

I regret ever getting injections... the "quick" and temporary summer fix is not worth the aftermath of it.

& I CAN wear v-neck tshirts. but like I said it depend on the length of the sleeve, I don't have any keloids on my upper chest. As a female, I am particularly cautious about this area, I guess its pretty self explanatory lol

Quote:I certainly can't wearing any v-necks and haven't been able to do so for a number of years now - not only because my keloid would show, but also because a second one developed on my chest the 'V' would sit directly on it, causing continuous pain and irritation . With both these keloids now joined up, the situation is even worse....

...I even struggle to wear formal shirts for work because of the crease down the middle where the buttons meet and even the friction caused by the buttons themselves

My bra/clothing causes me that same pain & irritation. What I do is, heavily moisturize my body (I use shea coco butter from the body shop) and it really helps prevent/lessen the irritation. Before getting dressed/after showers/etc. try to make moisturizing a routine.

A
29-01-2013, 23:56
(26-01-2013 18:56)ag1989 Wrote:  You're 100% right. If you begin with steroid injections, you have to continue with them for life or else a) the grow back, and bigger than they originally were and b) they become really hard (almost rock like) and itchy/painful

Will you be having them long term then?

It may be something you've not really thought of yet, but some studies have shown that if you undergo frequent [cortisone] steroid injections to battle keloid scars, that it may reduce the changes of pregnancy. I can't say I've read any material that scientifically proves this theory, although I have seen it written a few times.

Of course, if you follow us on Twitter @KeloidScarForum then you will have seen us retweet this message a week or so ago too! Icon_smug

(26-01-2013 18:56)ag1989 Wrote:  My bra/clothing causes me that same pain & irritation. What I do is, heavily moisturize my body (I use shea coco butter from the body shop) and it really helps prevent/lessen the irritation. Before getting dressed/after showers/etc. try to make moisturizing a routine.

Superb advice Icon_toppa.

It's been very cold here in London recently, often not reaching above freezing point throughout the day - this has had a direct impact on my keloids and made me feel quite restricted in movement [because I have keloids on chest and shoulder] because the cold has dried up my skin and, effectively, scars too, tightening up and preventing me from stretching.

Moisturising cream has really helped keep the keloids soft[er] and protect them from drying up causing restriction Icon_nod.

Thanks!
c_man