Keloids & painkillers
10-07-2013, 16:05
Keloids & painkillers
Hi all,

Having visited my GP over the years, one option continuously suggested has been to take painkillers, to help cope with the constant pain the scars provide. I have, to date, chosen to avoid painkillers for several reasons:
  • It would be a medication for life, not for the short term; Icon_thumbdown
  • The dosages will need to be increased over the years to ensure they keep working and my body does not start to tolerate the strength of the painkiller as 'normal' - again not very healthy! Icon_thumbdown
  • It could impact situations where I really would require painkillers, i.e. being in an accident of some sort; Icon_thumbdown

However, the situation with my keloids, particularly on the chest and shoulder, has got to a stage where I am managing only a few hours sleep during the night - on a good night Icon_cry.

The constant pain and discomfort led to another meeting with the GP who has now prescribed a painkiller by the name of Amitriptyline Icon_eek. It is typically provided to those who struggle to sleep due to experiencing pain.

I am yet to obtain the medication but am seriously considering it.... Icon_neutral

So - does anyone else take painkillers to help ease any pain their keloid is causing? If so, what medication, and does it actually help?

Thanks,
c_man
18-07-2013, 21:57
RE: Keloids & painkillers
I don't know if it was a one off coincidence, but I used ibuprofen gel on mine last week and it did seem to help. No oral painkillers I've ever taken have had much effect.
24-07-2013, 20:13
Findacure - that's interesting Icon_smile. What made you use the Ibuprofen gel? Any recommendation or just a random try?

Have you continued to use it?

Thanks,
c_man
24-07-2013, 21:47
Hi,

A friend just suggested it after I'd had a bad night. I thought I'd try it, thinking at least I can say I gave it a try, and it did actually help! I used it again this week, and again, it did ease it. It didn't take it away completely, but it eased that sharpness of the pain, and it didn't twinge as often, eventually going.
08-08-2013, 09:44
(24-07-2013 21:47)Findacure Wrote:  Hi,

A friend just suggested it after I'd had a bad night. I thought I'd try it, thinking at least I can say I gave it a try, and it did actually help! I used it again this week, and again, it did ease it. It didn't take it away completely, but it eased that sharpness of the pain, and it didn't twinge as often, eventually going.

That's excellent, thanks for posting back. Those types of irritations [sharpness, twinges, etc.] are exactly what I suffer from too so it's great to know painkillers in the form of gel is effective.

I'd much rather prefer gel over tablets Icon_thumbsupIcon_nod.

Thanks!
c_man
06-08-2017, 22:42
Hi Findacure,

How have you got on? Have you continued to use painkillers? If so, have you noticed any adverse effects?

I've experienced increased pain levels over the past 6-12 months, and seriously considering this option again, albeit reluctantly.

Thanks,
c_man
17-10-2018, 21:30
I have once again been offered Amitriptyline by my GP to help cope with the daily/nightly pain. Not sure what to do...

Just wondering if anybody else considered taking any form of painkillers since this thread was last active a year ago...?

Thanks,
c_man
21-03-2019, 01:42 (This post was last modified: 21-03-2019 13:24 by mic_mic16.)
Keloids & painkillers
Yea I’m in the same boat. It’s painful at night, and early in the morning too.. the only thing that ever helped me were the injections. I was worried it would worsen my keloids because injuries make them worse obviously, but they completely take away the pain, and they didn’t get larger somehow? Only lasts for a month or 2 unfortunately. In my honest personal opinion I would stay away from the pills, I don’t know the side effects but taking prescription pain relief drugs long term is never good. Try weed or using cbd. I hear keloid massages break up the scar tissue, try massaging before bed? Depends on how badly you are in need for pain relief, but it can’t be good for the kidneys. Good luck man I feel your pain (literally)
21-03-2019, 14:12 (This post was last modified: 21-03-2019 14:15 by mic_mic16.)
Keloids & painkillers
Hey c_man I asked my mom about the pain she said she uses Lidocaine spray. Check it.

[Image: 32bea8903d12b719f68ffd6a1977536f.jpg]

[Image: c74e7444362362db689622148cf6bb37.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk