Poll: Keloid Scarring - Hereditary
One of my parents also has keloid scars
Both of my parents also have keloid scars
Neither of my parents have keloids scars
[Show Results]

Keloid Scarring - Hereditary or not?
15-05-2013, 23:40 (This post was last modified: 16-05-2013 18:09 by c_man.)
Keloid Scarring - Hereditary or not?
Hey all,

I recently joined this forum and posted about the keloids on my chest. Talking with c_man about my keloids, I mentioned to him that keloids run in my family (mother has a keloid scar from her c-section from when she birthed me and my twin brother). c_man was asking for medical sources to back my claim about the link to genetics and keloid scarring, if there is a definite link.

For starters, my paediatrician back home (the one that I first saw about my scarring when I thought they were something else, potentially herpes) told me that hypertrophic scarring/keloids are in fact hereditary. So I can cite her for starters.

Doing research online, it seems that most health organizations are hesitant to say definitively that genetic factors come into play when dealing with keloids. One article I found from The British Journal of Dermatology titled "Genetic Susceptibility to Raised Dermal Scarring" has this to say:

Quote:"Raised skin scars, such as keloid and hypertrophic scars mostly occur post-wounding in the human dermis. There is compelling evidence for a genetic component to these conditions, given the familial predisposition, varied incidence in different ethnic populations and the presence in twins."

Of course, this is only one website, and there may very well be others out there that refute the link between genetics and keloids.

Let's use this thread to trace future developments.
16-05-2013, 18:12
RE: Keloid Scarring - Hereditary or not?
Hi gbg16,

Good idea for a thread Icon_smile.

I hope you don't mind, I edited your post to include a poll/voting system. Hopefully this will allow us to capture just how this community is split up in terms of hereditary links. I've just voted Icon_smug.

If anyone has any white papers or official literature on the topic, they can be posted in the Laboratory. Opinions, thoughts and feedback can stay here Icon_thumbsup.

Thanks!
c_man
23-10-2018, 16:32
Really interesting poll results thus far Icon_eek - somewhat contradicts typical medical assumptions Icon_nod.

Thanks,
c_man
21-11-2018, 11:41
What kind of results did you expect C_man? Btw, there should have been a "Not sure" option for people who aren't sure if their parents had it or not, like me.
26-12-2018, 22:03
(21-11-2018 11:41)Mapper Wrote:  What kind of results did you expect C_man? Btw, there should have been a "Not sure" option for people who aren't sure if their parents had it or not, like me.

I absolutely expected there to be a strong correlation between those who suffer from keloids, and their parents also having keloids.

Medical papers indicate it is a hereditary condition, however, the poll results demonstrate otherwise...