Ear keloid
01-03-2018, 11:40 (This post was last modified: 07-03-2018 08:01 by agriffin.)
Ear keloid
Hi everyone!

I’m 23 and I’ve had a keloid on the top of my left ear for about 4 years now. I had my ear pierced when I was 15 but it took about 4 years for the keloid to form. I have other piercings, but when I got this one I knew it wasn’t right and took the piercing out after a few months, years later, the keloid grew.

I’ve had 2 steroid injections in it so far and honestly I think they’re just making it worse. But what’s worrying me is the possibility that other keloids may grow now I have this one.

I’ve accepted this one on my ear as best I can, it still upsets me sometimes but generally I hide it with my hair and everything’s fine. But I’ve recently had my contraceptive implant taken out of my arm and the scar is slightly raised. I’m now paranoid that this will also grow into another keloid and there’s nothing I can do about it.

Can anyone tell me if I should expect this to become a keloid or not. I’ve got 4 piercings and a tattoo (which was done during the time my keloid was growing a few years ago) and I’ve only got the one keloid on my ear. The not knowing is just sending me mad!

Thanks
28-03-2018, 16:45
RE: Ear keloid
Hi agriffin,

It's difficult to say. As you've probably gathered, each instance of 'trauma' to the skin is dealt with on a case by case basis. This then different from person to person!

You may have read about hypertrophic scars, which are similar to keloids but not as aggressive and will not grow beyond the boundaries of the original cut. Given you're in the early stages of potential scar tissue formation, I'd personally recommend (and note, I'm not medically qualified) using some form of silicon sheets to not only apply pressure to the scar, but also a tiny amount of steroid to help fight against collagen production. I find Haelan Tape works brilliantly in these circumstances, and you can read about my thoughts on that option here: Forum-Silicone-Gel-Sheets.

That said, given you've had 4 piercings and a tattoo (which presumably didn't result in excessive scarring/keloids) there's a great chance you have nothing to worry about! Do keep us posted.

Thanks,
c_man
29-03-2018, 13:52
Ear keloid
I agree with c_man you should use some type of silicone sheeting just in case, everyone is different so you never know. I had both of my ears pierced and I only developed a keloid in 1 ear which is weird. That was 17 years ago and I never had any treatments or anything I used to be self conscious about it and try to cover it, but now I just tell people what it is and they don’t seem to care. Over time the keloid shrank a little and became really soft and changed back to skin color. So be patient and give it time. If a keloid does form just try to catch it early that’s the best advice I can give you..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk